Maneka Sanjay Gandhi
- Department : Ministry of Women and Child Development
- Constituency : Pilibhit
- Party : Bharatiya Janata Party
- Date of Birth : Sunday, August 26, 1956
- State Name : Uttar Pradesh
- Permanent Address : 14, Ashoka Road,New Delhi -110 001
- Education Qualifications : I.S.C.
- Present Address : 14, Ashoka Road, Andhra Pradesh Bhawan,New Delhi - 110 001, Tels. (011)
- Email Address : firstname.lastname@example.org
Maneka Gandhi, a prominent Indian politician belonging to the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). She is currently the Minister for Women & Child Development in Prime Minister Narendra Modi's NDA government. Apart from being a politician, she also works for the animal rights and is a known environmentalist. Her dedication in working towards the welfare of animals is manifest in the books written by her in which she talks about the various laws on and for animals. Some of the books written by her include Etymological Directories, Animal Activism and Laws etc. What may come as a surprise to everyone is that she is also a former model. Being the widow of Sanjay Gandhi, she belongs to famous Nehru-Gandhi family.
Political Journey of Maneka Gandhi
- She became the General-Secretary of Janata Dal in 1988.
- She was elected as a member of 9th Lok Sabha in 1989. In the same year she also became the Union Minister of State (Independent Charge), Environment and Forests.
- In 1990 she was appointed as the Union Minister of State (Independent Charge), Programme Implementation.
- She was re-elected as a member of the 11th Lok Sabha in 1996.
- In the year 1996 she was elected as a member of Committee on Science and Technology, Environment and Forests.
- In 1998 she was re-elected to 12th Lok Sabha. She also became the Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Social Justice and Empowerment.
- In 1999 she was re-elected to 13th Lok Sabha.
- From October 1999 to September 2001 she held charge of Union Minister of State, Social Justice and Empowerment (Independent Charge).
- From September 2001 to November 2001, Maneka was the Union Minister of State, Culture with additional charge of Animal Care (Independent Charge) Programme Implementation and Statistics with additional charge of Animal Care (Independent Charge).
- From November 2001 to 30 June 2002 she was appointed as the Union Minister of State, Programme Implementation and Statistics with additional charge of Animal Care (Independent Charge).
- In 2002 she became the member of Committee on External Affairs.
- In 2004 Gandhi was re-elected to 14th Lok Sabha and was also the member of Committee on Health & Family Welfare, member of Consultative Committee, Ministry of Environment and Forests.
- In 2009 elections she was re-elected to 15th Lok Sabha and became member of Committee on Railways and Chairperson of Committee on Government Assurances.
- In 2014 she was appointed as the Union Minister of Women & Child Development.